Saturday, May 3, 2008

Piano Recital on April 8

Garrett wants me to write in green. So I did get one picture of one big event over the past few months. I had a Celebration for my piano students. It sounds kind of amature when you learn that only two of my students are not related to me. But I choose to spend time as a mom more than as a teacher right now. I will have plenty of teaching hours later but I only get a few more years with little children that are ours to raise, so that is number one.

The students I do have are very talented and we put on a 45 minute recital with only 5 students. And as you can imagine, Weston's pieces lasted about 30 seconds (if that). Caden did well with a few minutes of memorized music and a duet. My three teenagers, Michael Ruesch, Melody Wood, and Faith Yingling filled the rest of the program. We played on a 9 ft Steinway and boy did that feel good!!! The piano does everything you tell it too. Performing on a Steinway is like cruising in an '08 Altima (the nicest car I've had the privilege to drive) when you're used clunking along in an '81 Dodge Aries.
Our composer this time around was Robert Vandall. There are no statues of Vandall, so I handed out composing folders to hopefully inspire us. There is nothing like trying to come up with your own original material to help you appreciate all published composers and understand how music works. I love it!

1 comment:

alpineavery said...

tell Garrett I loved the green ink!!! By the way, your recital was amazing, thank you for all you have done for my daughter!!!